Saturday, March 16, 2013

Week 2 Blog_Television Communication

Blog Post: Week 2 Episode of TV show "Friends" Chapter 1, Season 1. Based on the muted version of an episode of "Friends" on YouTube, I noticed many types of communication. I saw facial expressions, body movements, selective listening, empathy, sarcasm, annoyance, and various other emotions and moods. In terms of relationships, I noticed that the characters in the show are a bunch of friends. They confide in each other and have a good relationship amongst each other. I think the characters are feeling empathy towards Jennifer Aniston because they give her hugs and express empathetic words and facial expressions. The characters also express sarcasm, laughter, and attitude and annoyance at times based on another friend's gestures or mood. After watching the show with sound, I obtained a whole new insight as to the plot of the show. I assumed that the characters did not care for Courtney Cox and were making fun of her because I noticed her roll her eyes a few times in annoyance. The conversation was really about Courtney going out to Dinner with a guy and her friends were concerned about her. (www.youtube.com). I think my assumptions would have been more correct if I had watched a show that I know well because I can interpret a characters emotions, moods, etc. if I know them. I feel that by having experience with a certain character for a while, I can get to know their emotions, wants, needs, and experience their communication levels and patterns. References www.youtube.com. (March 16,2013). "Friends" Chapter 1 Season 1. Retrieved from. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MECXw0j1KuU).

3 comments:

  1. Hello Good Post!
    You know I have been browsing channels and stopped to watch this program a couple of times but honesty I really do not understand well their true relationship. Now I can even imagine watching it and not listening to it. I'll be going crazy trying to figure out what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angela, I believe when we watched the programs with sounds we were more awear of facial expression, as well as movement. I know the show, and can see the eyes rolling, and hands, and body parts moving to get the point across. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    On Sunday evenings I watch that show faithfully. I believe if you were familiar with that show you would have been able to know the plot. You are correct it is sometimes hard to determine what the show is about when there is no sound present.

    ReplyDelete