Saturday, April 6, 2013

Nonviolent Communication and Conflict Management

As a result of my last major conflict I had recently with a landlord, I think that without taking this class, I used some helpful strategies to turn conflict into a more productive solution because I moved out of the place that was bringing me so much stress. And all I did was not talk to my landlord and it completely avoided any type of argument or confrontation. Now that I have taken this course I can see that I have gained a lot more skills in dealing with communication, listening, and conflict management. Two strategies that I would love to share consist of a compromise such as asking the landlord to give me time to move because I have children, which I did and she agreed. Compromise helps because it allows both sides to discuss their sides of the story and to meet somewhere in the middle. Also, another strategy is to allow the angry person to talk without interrupting them. It really surprises them when they see that you are not arguing back and they eventually stop. One key to becoming an effective listener is to "go into active listening mode and stay there till they've calmed down" (http://www.crnhq.org/pages.php?pID=12#skill_3). I would really love to hear opinions and suggestions from my colleagues as to how I can produce more effective skills at communication and conflict management. Also, I would love to learn about any strategies that other's have used if in similar situation as mine.




 References Conflict Resolution Network. http://www.crnhq.org/pages.php?pID=12#skill_3

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela,

    Compromise is hard for many because they view it as giving in or giving up ground, we see it all the time in politics. The art of compromise is helpful in both parties have something to show for their efforts vice either party having any gain. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete