Saturday, September 22, 2012

Getting to Know My Professional Contacts-Part 1

Upon visiting various organizations’ websites, I established some contact as to a few email responses. The responses led me to no personal reference that I can utilize to speak with someone on a weekly basis. NAEYC, gave me a link to a newsletter which is now submitting me emails about their current efforts in the field. The newsletter is called FINE. They can be located by going to (www.hfrp.org). And their mission is to help families be a part of their children’s life, and throughout their children’s adult years. They strive to bring families together. They also work on other projects such as Early Childhood Education, Complementary Learning, Out-of-School Time, Evaluation and other research areas. UNICEF sent me an email stating that they do not hire staff to work with student projects, but they did offer a lot of information to research on their website. They post many newsletters, and have various groups of volunteers and people who visit different countries to help those in need. I resorted to the alternative to the assignment because I have not established contact with an official. I visited the World Forum Foundation and listened to a podcast from World Forum Radio. The link can be found by going to: (http://worldforumfoundation.org/wf/wp/current-work/world-forum-radio/). I listened to all 5 of the 10 podcasts in the current work section and found two people who have definitely made a difference. Delfena Mitchell is a Director of a children’s home in Belize City. She works with children under age five to aid them from abuse, neglect, and orphaned. Her example of a little boy she saved is special because the little boy came to her not talking for over a year, and after treatment, he talked again. Another touching podcast was from Meridas Eka Yora. He works as a founder of three boarding schools in Indonesia. His efforts resulted from the massive Earthquake that hit the Indian Ocean in 2004. He has no children of his own, but he and his wife love the children who come to them. He treats the children as his own. He also works with children who were orphaned due to the disaster. In the Earthquake and Tsunami, over 500,000 Indonesian’s were killed. From all of this research, I found that it is so amazing that there are so many dedicated professionals all over the world that put up their time, effort, and love for children to help them overcome abuse, poverty, natural disasters, and diseases. I gained tremendous knowledge in that although, there are World Organizations that work day in and day out to help children through rescue efforts, volunteering, and through donation efforts, we can’t always save all of the children. Lastly I learned that all it takes is one professional who has a voice for a cause, and positive things can happen. By taking these few individual Organizations and the people from the podcasts examples, we can put our dreams into play, and make a difference as well. References The Harvard Family Research Project. (www.hfrp.org). UNICEF. (www.unicef.org). World Forum Foundation. Retrieved from. (http://worldforumfoundation.org/wf/wp/current-work/world-forum-radio/).

3 comments:

  1. Although you were not able to find a person to communicate with, I definitely consider that you chose some excellent resources to achieve the outcome that is expected n this course. Thank you for sharing I'll definitely look into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is upsetting that you might not have someone to talk to on a daily basis about their life and their country, but these resources you found are amazing! The podcasts that you have subscribed to really seem to share great information and touching stories to keep moral high for helping these countries. Thank you for sharing these great resources and stories with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is something when someone can care for a child that is not their. What the person have done I have done it myself I have taken children into my home help them get back with their family to work out the situation. I guess this is why I chose this course because I love children.

    ReplyDelete